The Build Team

The Build Team
Me and My Master Mechanic Sean

April 9, 2008 The Godfather Project Begins (Codenamed: Project X)

Welcome to the custom chopper build blog for the 2008 SMW Godfather Pro Street. The purpose of this blog is to document in detail the process of building my custom show chopper.


About the bike:
2008 softail frame/300mm tire (5" backbone stretch, -2" stretch downtube 46 deg. rake)
100" Ultima Motor

  • 1600cc
  • Bore: 3.875"
  • Stroke: 4.25"
  • Piston: Forged
  • Compression: 9.6:1
  • Rated Power: 110RW HP - 110 LB FT Torque

S&S Super G Carburetor with S&S High Flow Air Filter & Adapter Kit
Accessories Unlimited 6 Speed RSD Transmission
Martin Bro's Daisy Cutter Pipes (RSD)
Krafttech 4" Stretched Gas Tank
2" Chrome Front Forks
Tribal 6 Degree Raked Trees
Chrome 7 1/2" Stretched Bullet Headlight
21x3.25 Billet Lawless Front Rim
120MH21 Avon Tire (front)
18x10.5 Billet Lawless Rear Rim
Avon Venom 300 Series Tire
13" Softail Fender
Chrome 2" Adjustable Shocks
SMW Winged Oil Tank
Accutronix Tribal Chrome Forward Controls
+3" Chrome Shifter Rod
Dakota Digital Speedometer

Performance Machine Contour Hand Controls

Russell Pro System Oil Lines (compression lock)

Machined Oil Pressure Gauge



I purchased most of the parts from a company called Southern Motorcycle Works in Ardmore, OK. The total cost of parts and shipping was $17,739. The shipping was done via FedEx Freight on 2 pallets. One weighing 300lbs (class 85), and the second weighing in at 450lbs (class 250). The total delivery time was 4 days from door to door.

About the Builders:
As you can see there are only two builders for this project, myself and my son Sean who is 8 years old. My experience building a motorcycle is next to none, but Sean assures me that his experience is all we need.


The Bench & Tools:

Given the option to buy a standard motorcycle stand

for about $500 + shipping, I decided to go the more economical route and build a bench that

would suit

my needs. I probably have $60 in the bench and that includes the mat covering. This means I can use it as a heavy duty garage bench or in the future for tire replacements and the like. Homemade bench or beer……hmmm not a tough decision.

Since every “builder” needs a tool box and his own tools, Sean

was given my old toolbox and I had to buy a new one. Just one of those rights of passage as a young man I believe.

So off to the Sears I go, and let’s just say that a bigger toolbox

means I need more tools to fill the drawers. We pretty much have everything we need for this project (standard hand tools, Air Compressor, Impact Gun, Air Ratchet, Die Grinders, etc.) Now all we have to do is RTFM.

I will continue to update this blog as often as possible, and hope to include lots and lots of

pictures along the way. Stay tuned more to come…….

No comments: