The Build Team

The Build Team
Me and My Master Mechanic Sean

April 21, 2008 Day 8 (Fuel and Spaghetti?)

Nothing feels better than looking at what was once a mound of boxes, and seeing a mount of garbage in its place. Except maybe seeing the garbage taken out shortly there after by someone other than me.

I started the day by preparing myself mentally for the electrical components that needed to be installed. This included “the brain”, ignition switch, coil, battery, and a heap of wires. I already had quite a bit of wiring up front, due to the hand controls mounted on the handlebars. I also had the headlight wires and the speedometer wires to deal with.

Not wanting to jump right into the fire, the day got started with putting the S&S Super G carburetor on the engine. Carburetors are one of those touchy things that can be a real gotcha if you don’t pay attention. I unboxed the carb and laid everything out so I could see what I was up against. It was a little daunting looking at the pieces, but as the saying goes “you cannot eat the whole elephant with one bite”. With that being said I moved along following the instructions to get the throttle cable guides installed. Once that was complete I could hook up the throttle and idle cables to the carb as well as the throttle itself. Some research on the internet explained the proper technique for adjusting these. Soon the throttle operated the carb, opening and closing it, although with some hesitation. Now here is a real cause for concern, the manual says “WARNING if throttle does not work freely it may inadvertently stick open possibly causing loss of control of motorcycle and personal injury to operator and others.” After reading this and understanding the consequences, I adjusted, readjusted, over adjusted, and under adjusted the cables in every way possible. They did get a little better but I defiantly did not get the throttle snap back that I thought I should get. Now I pulled out all the stops and used the internet, HD service manual, and even Mr. Assembly to see what the issue could be. I remembered tearing a label off the throttle cables that said “Do not use aerosol lubricants; they will stain the braided cables.” Sounds like a good place to start so I head to the General Store for cable lube. $2.89 later those cables are as snappy as a Chris Rock comeback. Installed the air cleaner backplate, air filter, head breathers, breather hose, and overflow tubes without any issues. Carburetor installation………complete.

Anyone who has ever done wiring and is not a professional will understand when I say, you have to get in the zone. All those colors, so many connections, what goes to what? Once again I started with a small bite and determined where I would mount “the brain”.

Under the seat seemed the most logical since the rear fender had a electronics pocket built into it. This pocket was not large enough to house the brain, but it would make a good refuge for all the wires I was not going to use (horn, turn signals, high beam, kill switch, etc). I could just cut these off but I thought at some point I may change my mind, or the next owner (more to come on this later) may want to add or change things. I got out the drill, a tap, and some Allen hardware to get the brain mounted so wires could be run. Feeling good about my accomplishments I sat back and marveled at the day’s progress, especially the throttle cables. Rocket science isn't so tough.

No comments: