The Build Team

The Build Team
Me and My Master Mechanic Sean

April 20, 2008 Day 7 (Let’s Get the Party Started)

With the rear wheel mounted and spaced correctly, I was able to connect the drive belt from the transmission to the rear pulley. After this is complete you can use the wheel adjustment screws to place the proper tension on the belt and modify how the belt is tracking. In my case a little adjustment and the belt was tracking in the center of the rear pulley, and to the right side of the transmission pulley. All seems okay.

Next I chose to install the starter. Now I have installed several starters in vehicles so this should be pretty straight forward. I open up the box and find the chrome Rhino starter, and several pieces that make up the starter gear (or jackshaft assembly, JA as it will be referred to). Pretty simple stuff here; mount the starter to the transmission with the 2 Allen bolts, and since there is an alignment pin, it is pretty hard to mess up the mounting. Except that I have installed the drive belt and the starter needs to go right in that hole! So I remove the belt and get the thing mounted. Next you have to assemble the JA and install it on the starter shaft. In this process I notice a long ¼-20 Allen bolt with the JA parts. So I scratch my head and cock my head like a confused dog. I walk around and around trying to figure out what this bolt is? It looks like it is used to secure the jackshaft to the starter spline, but there is no hole in the center of the shaft for the bolt to screw into? This must be for an old style starter I said and moved on. I packed the starter end cap with high temp grease, and installed the two mounting screws. Started installed…….check.

I ordered a programmable Ultima Digital Ignition System which is designed to provide the correct curves and total timing for my engine. I open the box and find the ignition module. I did not see any mounting hardware and this seemed a bit strange so searched further, but found nothing. I removed the derby cover from the engine and expect to find the hardware. I did not. After some studying of the complex directions, I realize that there are no mounting instructions. But this does not surprise me since it appears to use two screws. Based on the design of the unit it looks like it should use a standoff to tighten the module to the engine and then the 2 small screws will attach the derby cover. AWESOME! Mystery solved…..except, I do not have said standoffs or have a clue who in town would have them. I head to the local NAPA and find out that although Orange County Choppers endorses NAPA, they have crap for fasteners, hardware, and general bike parts. Way to go O.C.C.! NAPA suggests the General Store in the middle of town. I’m thinking a general store?!?!?! Standoffs?!?!?! Come on. Reluctantly I head to the General Store and find a virtually every fastener possible including standoffs!!! Did I mention they sell hot dogs outside the store. I now have a new favorite store.

No comments: