The Build Team

The Build Team
Me and My Master Mechanic Sean

April 19, 2008 Day 6 (All Spacers Are Not Created Equal)

Since we had the swing arm properly mounted, the next step was to install the rear tire on the rear axle. Typically most custom bikes run a rear disc brake that is mounted on the left rear hub. In my case I have chosen to run a rear brake caliper that brakes off of the right side pulley, also called a pulley rotor brake system. This means that the left rear rim will be very visible and open. Once again this causes some issues regarding rear axle spacers. With the Hawg Halter brake kit came 4 spacers, (2) for ¾” axle and (2) for a 1” axle. I have a 1” axle so this made my selection pretty simple. This means I have (1) that is 1-3/4” long and (1) that is 2-1/8” long. I will try and sum this spacer fiasco out by saying no combination of the spacers I have is going to meet my needs.

So not wanting to mess with the almighty HD dealer, I decide to just call a few machine shops around town and explain my simple request. I need one spacer for the left side (preferably aluminum) 1” I.D. X 3-3/16” length. I do not care about the O.D. since this is simply a spacer. The 1-3/4” spacer will work fine for the right side.

I called every machine shop in the yellow pages and none of them were excepting outside jobs. Supposedly each one of them is so swamped that they have no time for any outside work. I plead my case with each of them, with no resolve. I try a few hot rod shops and eventually the HD dealer all of which seem stumped as to what I should do. At this point I am starting to get frustrated because I am sure that someone has some material that will work, and 5 minutes with a band saw or lathe and your done. But no one can help or seems to have any recommendations. I decide to call a custom motorcycle shop here in town and Jim from Customs by Jim, said come on down. He charged me $5.00, that’s right $5 US dollars for something I was ready to pay $100 for. I assured Jim that he was a true blooded American, and this was the best $5 I had ever spent.

I went home and with the help of my mother, I got the rear wheel installed. Now you may laugh when I say my mom, but she is a great help to have around the shop and is fairly mechanical. We celebrated with a beer, a toast, and I had a shot to close out the day.

No comments: