The Build Team

The Build Team
Me and My Master Mechanic Sean

April 19, 2008 Day 6 (Not a Picnic Basket, But a Clutch Basket)

With the inner primary installed and the 45T motor pulley installed, it was time to finish assembling 3.35” open belt drive. I began looking at the clutch parts (9 friction plates, 10 steels, 6 coil springs, pressure plate, 6 spring guides, adjuster screw and nut) and wondering how I was going to manage this critical step. Fortunately the belt drive unit came with some pretty good documentation. First I installed the clutch basket onto the transmission main shaft. Next I alternated the friction plates with the steel discs and then proceeded to install the pressure plate, guides and springs. Now comes the tricky part (oh no…not again). The guide says to tighten the pressure plate springs until .350” +/- .010 from the face of the pressure plate. This is one of those cases where I should have bought a set of veneer calipers, but of course I didn’t. So I start thinking, what would Mc Giver do? It dawns on me that I can simply measure out the converted distance (7/20 +/- 1/100) on a drift punch, make a mark, and then use that as my height gauge. Next came the clutch adjustment screw and nut. According to the destructions, I need to tighten the clutch adjustment screw until I feel light pressure, and then back off ¼ turn. Seems pretty straight forward, except that this leaves maybe 4 threads for my locknut. Now I am not a rocket scientist, but this seems like a very small amount of threads, but hey, what do I know right……

I had previously screwed the clutch cable into the transmission, and was careful not to over tighten as the bright orange sticker said. One last piece, hook up the other end of the cable to my newly mounted hand controls and I should be home free. So I fiddle with the other end and get it attached to the clutch handle. I squeeze with great anticipation using my kung fu grip, only to find that the clutch handle is sloppy and has no tension at all. Oh for the love of Pete!! During my troubleshooting phase I realize that the clutch cable has an adjustment right smack in the middle of the cable. So I quickly tighten the slack out of the cable, and find that my fix had zero effect on the handle tension. After 2 hours and 4 beers, It finally hits me like a tone of bricks that the end I screwed in attached to nothing inside the transmission. DUH! Next I proceed to remove the transmission drive pulley cover to find the ball and ramp assembly where the cable installs. 10 minutes later I have it installed and reassembled, and we have clutch pressure. Thank the lord in heaven. We installed Gates 8mm 140T belt and the outer Celtic primary.

No comments: